Friday, January 18, 2013

Kim's Kitchen Remodel

Hi, Guys, this is Kim! I thought I would show a 'little' project my husband and I have been working on over the past year. A little over a year ago, my hubby and I were able to purchase a larger home in a wonderful neighborhood, not very far from our previous one. Anyway, our house was a new construction that sat for 6 years before we bought it. Its a story I'll leave for another post. One of the problems - if you could call it that- was the kitchen cabinets were a white washed maple. This gave them a pinkish appearance, not too appealing, but the bones were fairly good! I knew the guys at work could paint them to whatever color I needed (on their time- of course!). This photo shows you what the kitchen looked like before we had the floors sanded and stained to the color Jacobean from MinWax.
When we looked at the space, we wondered if an island in the middle would work. Then we quickly realized there wasn't enough space to move around an island. Hmmm- then the idea hit my hubby! Why not an peninsula?! That posed a few challenges of its own. First of all who made the cabinets? Can we still get them- they have been sitting after all for 6 years?! Quick examination of a drawer and a web search and we found the info we needed. We contacted a local company that sold them. I won't go into the details of our experience with them, but I will say it was not pleasant! After what felt like an enternity the cabinets arrived! But before we get into that, this summer I had the cabinets painted a soft white. Here's how they came out:
Once they were painted and returned to us, then an interesting challenge emerged. Piecing together the new cabinets, to create a peninsula. Once the puzzle was solved, my hubby had to retrofit our microwave. A purchase from ebay for a microwave trim kit and alot of cutting etc. My hubby got it into the cabinets. Here's a shot of that:
While he worked on the microwave, I searched tirelessly for the perfect hardware. Easy, right? Wrong! I finally landed on glass knobs from coolknobsandpulls.com. I saved so much on these! They were literally half the price of ones from Restoration Hardware! I did however, purchased my drawer pulls in varying sizes from Restoration Hardware.
Up next our counter adventure!

1 comment: